Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner Hybrids have regenerative brakes. They will do a self test every 5 minutes that pressurizes the system. If you do not disable the self test function, you can get seriously injured while performing brake pad replacement. The following is the step by step procedure for putting the brakes into Safe Brake Service Mode (SBSM):
- Put the vehicle in park with the ignitionn.
- Step on the brake pedal.
- With your foot on the brake pedal, turn the key OFF then ON 3 times. Then release the brake pedal. This must be completed in less than 3 seconds.
- If you have performed this correctly, the brake warning lamp will flash as the stored hydraulic pressure is released. It will stay on once the pressure is released.
- You may now safely service the brakes. After the repair you will have to activate the regenerative brakes once more by turning the ignition key off then on. Leave the key in the on position.
- When you are done you will need to exit SBSM. To do this, step on the brake pedal and hold it while you turn the ignition off then on. This develops pressure in the system. The brake warning light should now go off.
This is Just one of the things that you need to be aware of when servicing the Ford Escape and Mercury mariner hybrids. Always refer to the service manual for safety information anytime you are working on or near the high voltage systems.