Any motorcycle enthusiast’s dream is to own a brand new motorcycle in all its glory. It gives you a new high by visiting a dealer and taking your dream bike on a trial ride. This gives you a sense of satisfaction knowing that you are the first person riding your bike. However a new bike can be expensive and you may not be in a position to buy a new one. Instead people on a tight budget resort to buying used motorcycles. You just might land up with a used bike that is as good as new with a bit of research and some good luck.
The decision is based on your financial stand. The cost of the bike plays an important role when it comes to deciding if you will be purchasing a new bike or a used one. Used bikes are definitely cheaper and you may be able to save on setup and delivery charges too. Also when a bike is purchased it immediately loses its new value. Second hand bikes might need some work done on them before you start using them but sometimes you might need to work on a new bike as well.
Things to avoid when shopping for used bikes
· If you do not intend using the bike for stunting purposes then it is advisable to avoid bikes that were previously used to perform stunts. These bikes that have been used for the purpose of stunting would have taken a real hit because stunts usually affect the transmission weaken the engine.
· When the repairing cost is going to be higher than the worth of the bike then the bike is said to have a salvage title. It is better to avoid these bikes if you want to start using the bike immediately and if you do not have good knowledge about mechanics and engines to fix it up yourself.
Things to keep an eye on
· Mileage plays an important role in choosing a bike. It is vital that you choose a bike with low mileage.
· Choose a bike with no issues that are of major concern. You should be able to start using the vehicle without having to repair it extensively. This is called clean title.
· Choose a bike from a reliable seller. It is much cheaper to find sellers online; however it is ideal if you are able to verify their authenticity before you purchase the bike.
Finding the perfect used bike is a painstaking process. Asking questions and finding out everything about the bike before purchasing will save you a lot of trouble. It’s always less risky to purchase a new bike instead of taking all the pain finding a used one that you like, however you are not free from trouble even then.